Friday, November 09, 2007

Drifting towards the easy

Did you ever know that you're my hero, and everything I would like to be? Those were the words that my 8th grade graduation class sung to our proud parents the night we received our diploma. Bette would have been impressed.

I used to love singing and did so at every opportunity. Unfortunately, everyone else around me hated it because, well, I'm fairly tone deaf. As a child, that never stopped me from singing. I knew I was bad, but didn't care because I loved it. Almost all children have this amazing gift. As we grow older, most people slowly lose this gift. We begin to neglect the things we love and drift towards things that we're naturally good at. Isn't this a recipe for unhappiness? I think so. Why does this happen? Perhaps it is because we care too much about what other people think. Maybe we believe that we're wasting our time. Whatever the reason, it's a pity.

Shouldn't our goal be to participate in activities that challenge us, even in the face of doubt, ridicule and opposition? Forget about finding work. That is only what you're good at. Forget about having a career. That will probably get your ahead and have prestige, but often lacks meaning.
Shouldn't our goal be to finding our calling? Your calling will bring you alive. I've been asking myself the following question recently: 1) what are you good at 2) what do you enjoy doing and 3) does it directly or indirectly better your community.

Maybe wanting all 3 is asking too much. Maybe I'm being young and idealistic. Perhaps the realities of life don't always allow this. I'm still searching and it's not an easy or quick process. I may never find the balance. Yet, I feel it is a goal worth believing in.


So, what do you suck at, but absolutely love doing? Me…well, I’ll just continue to sing in the shower.

1 comment:

absoluterik said...

Hello

I love your blog.

Can I add a link to your blog on my blog?
Which title and url do you want me to add?

www.restoringLove.com



May be you will also like my blog, and that you will
want to support the cause the blog supports:"restoring
Love". You can also add a link in your blog.

www.restoringLove.com



Do not hesitate to give me your opinion and feedback,


:)



Kisses and Hughs



Erik