Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Cologne, Germany Update

Two days was not nearly enough time to explore Cologne. My friend has a car and the drive from his apartment was only 1 1/2 hours. We got there in the late afternoon when it was already starting to get dark. As we approached the city, I could easily see the Dom (cathedral) towing over the much smaller buildings surrounding it. It was decorated for Christmas which make it particularly stunning.

There was a large outdoor festival the night we got there so there were vendors all over the city selling everything from arts & crafts to food to toys and of course, beer. Lots of beer. Garbage collectors were unsuccessfully trying to keep the streets clean as people and garbage were overflowing the narrow streets.

We spent several hours walking aimlessly around the entire city. I think that is one of the best ways to explore any city. I recall getting a weird feeling as I heard German. I think its the rough tone that freaks me out just a bit. Zach is a great travel partner. He speaks German, English, French, Dutch and Arabic, so he's able to speak the local language for every city in this eurotrip.

Later in the night Zach and I met up with some friends of Zachs and relaxed a bit before heading off to a big disco that occurs once a month (Greenkomm) . Zach and I were luckily enough to be there the night it was going on. The club had main dance floor, multiple observation decks and a nice lounge room w/ bar. The disco was extreemly busy and we had a great time.

I left cologne wanting to see more. That's alright with me, its just another excuse to visit the city again. That is, after I visit Berlin...

No comments: