Thursday, September 28, 2006

How London (almost) didn’t happen

Late Wake Up

I knew when I woke up to quite serenity that I was in trouble. I actually started to panic. I set three alarms knowing that I would have a difficult time getting up at 5:30 am for my 7:00 bus to the Girona Airport. Unbelievably, must have turned all them of them off without actually staying awake.

Due to divine intervention, I woke up without an alarm at 6:30 (with my throat feeling a lot better). I immediately knew that would not have enough time to make the 7:00 bus. That's when I remember seeing that another bus left at 7:30. Still, I was very concerned that wouldn't leave enough time to get to the airport, check in and board the plane.

I grabbed my (huge) suitcase and stuffed it with very few clothes, grabbed a few pieces of fruit and ran out the door. I knew my (neat freak) roommate was going to be upset because I didn't even have time to my still drying laundry I had setting on our balcony. Somehow I don't think he enjoyed moving my socks and underwear into my bed room.

Delayed Metro

Compounding my issues, the metro line I needed to get to the Nord bus station was delayed due to a defective train. I was freaking out.My actual transportation to get to where my friend lived was the following.

Apartment --> Barcelona Nord Bus Station --> Girona Airport (Barcelona) --> Stansted Airport (London) --> Liverpool Street (near the heart of London)

It's a lot faster and easier than it may appear.

Finally, I got to Nord at 7:25, but still needed to buy my ticket and board the bus. Thankfully, the lines were nonexistent and I made the bus about 1 minute before the bus left the station.

Unnecessary Hysteria


All of the rush, craziness and general hysteria ended up being for nothing. I ended up having a lot of time because my flight was late. The plane could not land because of some visibility issues. For a little under an hour, I relaxed in the terminal, almost feel asleep several times waiting for the plane and then decided it might be a good idea to get some espresso.



I just got back last night and I’m still reflecting on all that happened (a lot). I’ll get into more detail in my next post, but London is an amazing city, I had an unbelievably good time and I’ve determined that I would enjoy living in London at some point in my life.

No comments: